Tuesday 11 August 2009

As I sat there, smelling the roasting rat, I heard the rumbles' from my tummy. The hunger pains' got the better of me. I was the weaker of my two companions'. " Eat first ." Corcoran said, as he handed the wooden stake to me, of what appeared to be more bone than meat. I took it with slight hesitation, I had to shut my eyes' as I crunched into it, the best I could. I slowly opened my eyes to find Corcoran and Fledgling staring at me with their mouths' wide open , waiting for me to pass over the freshly cooked food.

I took three small bites', but the taste was too intense for me to handle, so I passed it over to Fledgling. Fledgling grabbed it with haste and shuffled backwards to the edge of one of the protruding boulders'. He looked at Corcoran, as he gulped down the bits' of remaining meat.

" Pass it on, don't eat all of it, Corcoran needs to eat as well ". I said, as he continued to eat, paying no attention to my instructions'. " Please Fledgling, hand over the food ". I said, but he just continued to eat, staring at me in a mad kind of way. I thought it best just to ignore him and I proceeded to lay down on my side ready to sleep again.

The fire was still burning and I could see Corcoran setting down the net for the next meal, if that's what you would call it. I gathered my arms up towards my chest and squeezed as hard as I could to keep myself warm and I remember just drifting into a not so comfortable sleep.

47.

No comments:

Post a Comment